2000 Drunk Driving Statistics

Click here for the most recent drunk driving statistics.

Traffic fatalities in alcohol-related crashes in the United States rose by 4% from 1999 to 2000. The 16,653 alcohol-related fatalities in 2000 (40% of total traffic deaths for the year) represent a 25% reduction from 22,084 alcohol-related deaths reported in 1990 (50% of the total).(1)

NHTSA estimates that alcohol was involved in 40% of fatal crashes and in 8% of all crashes in 2000.(1)

16,653 fatalities in alcohol-related crashes during 2000 represent an average of one alcohol-related fatality every 32 minutes.(1)

An estimated 310,000 persons were injured in crashes where police reported that alcohol was present — an average of one person injured approximately every 2 minutes.

Drunk driving statistics show that about 3 in every 10 Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some time in their lives.(1)

Approximately 43 of our fellow citizens are lost each day, 305 each week, and 1309 each month because of alcohol-related accidents. That's one life lost every 33 minutes.(1)

Only 7% of all crashes involve alcohol use, but nearly 39% of fatal crashes do.(1)

Traffic crashes are this country's greatest single cause of death for every age from 6 through 33. Almost half of these fatalities are related to drunk driving.(1)

Male drivers, drivers in the 21-34 age group, and drivers who are of the "white" race constitute the largest percentage of drunk (or impaired) drivers in fatal crashes.(1)

In 2000, 31% of all traffic fatalities occurred in crashes in which at least one driver or nonoccupant had a BAC of 0.10 g/dl or greater (legally drunk). 69% of the 12,892 people killed in such crashes were themselves drunk. The remaining 31% were passengers, nonintoxicated drivers, or nonintoxicated nonoccupants.(1)

In 2000, 30% of all fatal crashes during the week were alcohol related, compared to 53 percent on weekends. For all crashes, the alcohol involvement rate was 6% during the week and 14% on weekends.(1)

Drunk driving rates for fatal crashes in 2000 were highest for motorcycle operators (27%) and lowest for drivers of large trucks (1%). The intoxication rate for drivers of light trucks was higher than that for passenger car drivers (20% and 19%, respectively).(1)

Alcohol involvement in fatal crashes is more than 3 times as high at night as during the day (61% vs. 18%). For all crashes, the alcohol involvement rate is more than 4 times as high at night (17% vs. 4%).(1)

Statistics show the highest rates of drunk driving in fatal crashes in 2000 were recorded for drivers 21-24 years old (27%), followed by ages 25-34 (24%) and 35-44 (22%).(1)

Fatally injured drunk drivers (BAC levels of 0.10 g/dl or greater) were 6 times as likely to have a prior conviction for driving while intoxicated compared to fatally injured sober drivers (12% and 2%, respectively).(1)

Almost one-third (33%) of all pedestrians 16 years of age or older killed in traffic crashes in 2000 were intoxicated. By age group, statistics show a range of 9% for pedestrians 65 and over to a high of 49% for those 25 to 34 years old.(1)

All states and the District of Columbia now have 21-year-old minimum drinking age laws. NHTSA estimates that these drunk driving laws have reduced traffic fatalities involving drivers 18 to 20 years old by 13% and have saved an estimated 20,043 lives since 1975. In 2000, an estimated 922 lives were saved by minimum drinking age laws.(1)

More than 2,300 anti-drunk driving laws have been passed since 1980.(1)

More drunk driving statistics: Alcohol-related traffic fatalities by state in 2000:

Alabama 399 Montana 110
Alaska 53 Nebraska 103
Arizona 456 Nevada 145
Arkansas 200 New Hampshire 49
California 1401 New Jersey 319
Colorado 256 New Mexico 205
Connecticut 158 New York 419
Delaware 60 North Carolina 523
District of Columbia 19 North Dakota 41
Florida 1191 Ohio 516
Georgia 570 Oklahoma 221
Hawaii 54 Oregon 188
Idaho 114 Pennsylvania 618
Illinois 614 Rhode Island 41
Indiana 270 South Carolina 422
Iowa 124 South Dakota 81
Kansas 154 Tennessee 511
Kentucky 256 Texas 1898
Louisiana 447 Utah 89
Maine 51 Vermont 31
Maryland 225 Virginia 341
Massachusetts 218 Washington 275
Michigan 506 West Virginia 175
Minnesota 255 Wisconsin 345
Mississippi 379 Wyoming 45
Missouri 511    
U.S. Total: 16,653
1NHTSA